“Nobody likes abortion.” – Master post of pro-abortion examples.
A lot of people who support legal abortion object to the label “pro-abortion.” They tend to prefer the term “pro-choice,” claiming “pro-abortion” incorrectly implies they like abortion or would encourage people to get abortions. In reality plenty of people think abortion should be legal but consider it an inevitable tragedy or necessary evil. They are not pro-abortion any more than people who think adultery should be legal are “pro-adultery.”
However, when these pro-choicers reject the “pro-abortion” label, their objections often go beyond “I personally am not pro-abortion” to “There’s no such thing as ‘pro-abortion.'” For example, in Bill Nye’s recent nonsensical video on abortion, he claimed “Nobody likes abortion.”
But Nye is wrong. While most Americans see abortion as morally contentious, there’s a significant faction who embrace abortion as an unadulterated good. For those curious about what this mentality looks like, below is a sampling from people who actually are pro-abortion:
- You can find many such stories at Shout Your Abortion (updated continually)
- “Dear Politicians, Put ‘Safe, Legal, and Rare’ in the Dustbin,” Rewire News Group, April 5, 2021
- Dr. Jen Gunter, an abortion rights activist at University of California San Francisco, explains in a tweet, “I am pro abortion.
There is nothing shameful or bad or wrong about the procedure, whether medical, surgical or induction.
If it is needed, it is needed.” February 8, 2020
- You can follow ThankGodForAbortion on Instagram (posted January 31, 2020)
- “Abortion doesn’t have to be this sad, scary thing. A lot of the time it’s not. It can be empowering. It can be affirming. Mine was great.” 39 Abortion Stories Show Just How Important Abortion Access Is (Jordyn’s story), Teen Vogue, January 9, 2020
- “The media often paints abortion as a divisive political issue, but here’s the truth: abortion actually is an act of love, an act of compassion, an act of healing, and an act of selflessness.” What Abortion Actually Is About, National Women’s Law Center, November 2, 2019
- The Best Abortion Ever, The Cut, June 19, 2019
- Abortion is morally good, New York Magazine, May 17, 2019
- mistress misandry tweet: “I am not pro-choice. I do not think abortion is a necessary evil. I am pro-abortion, and I think abortion is an unequivocal good. It’s a modern miracle that abortion is now incredibly safe, especially in comparison to how unsafe it once was. Abortion is good.” Published February 15, 2019.
- Twitter thread starting with “Hate when folks say ‘nobody is pro-abortion’. Speak for yourself. I am pro-abortion…” followed my countless agreements. Accessed January 27, 2019
- “In ‘Shout Your Abortion,’ a Celebration of Life,” Yes Magazine, January 22, 2019
- Check out billboards stating “Abortion is a blessing,” “Abortion is a family value,” and “Abortion is sacred” at MyAbortionMyLife.org.. (Accessed January 13, 2019)
- Buy your “Abortion is a Goddamned Miracle” shirt here, Etsy, October 16, 2018
- “Plenty of people are pro-abortion,” The Outline, August 1, 2018
- “This Hilarious Webseries Is Changing The Narrative About Abortion,” BUST, January 31, 2018
- Buy your “Abortion is a Miracle” products here. December 15, 2016
- “Saying goodbye to abortion shame.” Bust, February 16, 2016
- “Actually, I Love Abortion.” The Frisky, September 25, 2015
- “My abortion made me happy: The story that started the #shoutyourabortion movement” Salon, September 22, 2015
- “I am pro-abortion, not just pro-choice: 10 reasons why we must support the procedure and the choice” Salon, April 24, 2015
- “Katha Pollitt On What The Pro-Abortion Rights Movement Gets Wrong About Choice” Huffington Post, October 15, 2014
- “Abortion: Not Easy, Not Sorry” Elle, October 14, 2015
- “Stop calling abortion a ‘difficult decision’” Washington Post, August 15, 2014
- “Why I Filmed My Abortion” Cosmopolitan, May 5, 2014
- “5 Problems With ‘Keep Abortion Rare’” Everyday Feminism, April 25, 2014
- “So what if abortion ends a life?” Salon, January 23, 2013
- “Abortion As a Blessing, Grace, or Gift — A Renewed Conversation about Reproductive Rights” Institute for Ethics & Emerging Technologies, January 12, 2013
- “It Happened to Us: Abortion” XO Jane, May 8, 2012
- “I Love Abortion: Implying Otherwise Accomplishes Nothing for Women’s Rights” RH Reality Check, March 14, 2012
- “In Defense of Abortion On Demand and Without Apology” Gender Across Borders, September 22, 2011
- “Labels, Labels, Labels: The Best One?” The Abortioneers, December 2, 2009
|Picture taken by Zombie at one of San Francisco’s Walks for Life.|
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!