(Click here to sign up for these email updates.)
This month Secular Pro-Life joined other pro-life feminist organizations to file an amicus brief with the Supreme Court re Dobbs v. Jackson. Monica penned SPL’s direct contribution:
Secular Pro-Life (SPL) is a coalition of people of any faith or no faith who advance secular arguments against abortion. SPL is led exclusively by atheist women. It recognizes that widely available elective abortion has dramatically increased the pressure for women to abort their children in any pregnancies conceived in less-than-ideal circumstances. This standard has greatly stigmatized women who wish to have both children and a career, and increased the stigma surrounding mothers and children struggling with poverty, disability, abusive relationships, and other challenges. It is grotesque to suggest that abortion is a prerequisite to equality. Abortion prioritizes the wombless male body over other forms of embodiment. SPL rejects a societal standard which says women’s path to equality is violence against their own children.
See the press release here.
Also this month, Terrisa spoke at a Democrats for Life of America rally in support of the Hyde Amendment. You can see her and others speak here.
Terrisa and Monica are also two of the many fantastic pro-life speakers featured in the recently premiered documentary The Matter of Life. Check out the trailer here or rent it on Vimeo here. Go to the Events drop down menu to see if there is a local showing in your area.
And the Pro-Life Flag Project has come to an end! With the final votes in, here is the winning design. Read more about the symbolism here.
For June we gained 228 new followers, bringing us to 14,305 total. We sent 202 tweets, which were viewed 499,100 times, including this tweet, viewed over 16,153 times, examining how some elements of abortion advocacy restrict true choice.
We are at 35,587 followers on Facebook. Our content was viewed 322,266 times, including 52,600 views of this post where abortion activist Alyssa Milano reaches out for abortion stories and gets an answer she wasn’t looking for.
Our three most-read blog posts for July, in increasing order:
- Behind the Scenes with a Pregnancy Helpline Worker: Monica continues her interviews with pro-life advocates and people who dedicate their lives to helping women in crisis pregnancies.
- Responding to a Common Pro-Choice Tactic: Guest blogger Liana Joy breaks down the tired pro-choice argument “It’s just a clump of cells, not a baby” and suggests some ways to rebut this problematic phrase.
- The People Have Spoken and the Pro-Life Flag Is…: This is the flag most voted for! Learn about the flag’s symbolism and how to get your own.
Like what we do and have something to contribute? Consider writing a guest post. Guest posts help us cover a more diverse range of perspectives, topics, and experiences. If you have an idea for a piece you’d like to submit, please email us at email@example.com.
There are plenty of ways to help with pro-life work. This month we recommend:
- Rent The Matter of Life, or host a viewing in your community.
- Write a letter to the editor on your pro-life stance, especially from a secular perspective. You never know who is reading and finding out for the first time that they aren’t alone in their views.
- Email Monica (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re interested in submitting guest blog posts on legislation or peer-reviewed research.
- And, of course, you can always donate:
Thank you to all of our supporters! If you haven’t already, come find us on social media.