Recently, Herb Geraghty of Rehumanize International made the following point in a few brief tweets:
At every debate/town hall event all of the Democrats should be asked: (1) Is there any point at which it should be illegal to abort a healthy pregnancy? & (2) How much money has Planned Parenthood had donated to you over the course of your political career to get you to say no?
The level of abortion extremism out of nearly every national Democrat is an outrage and should be an embarrassment to everyone in the party, myself included. Routine state sanctioned & funded dismemberment of viable babies it not a reasonable position and the majority of voters know that. Late-term abortion is unpopular with every demographic except for those who profit from it!
[Related SPL blog posts: Responding to 8 common pro-choice claims about late-term abortion & “The people want Roe to stay.”]
We thought Herb had a good point and we retweeted him asking our followers what else they would want to ask the Democratic candidates. Here are some of the suggestions:
- Should medical professionals be required to participate in abortions?
- When children in utero are screened for disabilities such as Down syndrome, a hugely disproportionate number of them are aborted. What are your thoughts on that?
- Do you think abortion should be rare? Why or why not?
- What programs would you enact as president to ensure women do not seek abortion solely because they feel they have no other choice?
- If artificial wombs became available during your term, would you still support abortion?
- Do you believe reducing the number of abortions is a goal the government should work toward?
- What will you do to reduce maternal morbidity and mortality?
Of course it would be very difficult to get most politicians to give sincere answers instead of practiced talking points (as Democrats for Life President Kristen Day experienced so recently at Pete Buttigieg’s town hall), but if you could get straight answers, what else would you want to ask the candidates?