The most read stories on the Secular Pro-Life blog in 2017 are:
(10) Don’t Forget: The White Supremacist Movement Supports Abortion
Gross eugenicist reasoning leads racists like Richard Spencer to join forces with pro-choice feminists.
(9) She was raped and refused abortion. Here’s how she answers her critics.
However you feel about the rape exception, we should all be able to agree that a child conceived in rape should not be referred to as “from Satan,” and a mother in that situation should not be condemned for supposedly “bringing another rapist into the world”… right? Sadly, no.
(8) Newly launched project advances health for mothers and babies of color
Abide Women’s Health Services is bringing quality, culturally competent maternity care to south Dallas, and we could not be more excited!
(7) Love Was Louder Than My Rape
“Back 40 years ago, unwed, teenage pregnancy, and rape had such stigmas attached to them. I didn’t want to tell my parents because I was afraid…”
(6) Slate hits peak science denial in article on “mystery” of prenatal life
“There’s a right answer, and it’s that your life began when you formed as a zygote, and the same applies to the lives of every human being you have ever met. The science is absolutely, without a doubt, unequivocally settled on this point. Denying the science of when life begins for political reasons makes it difficult for me to take you seriously when you argue about climate change and evolution. And I say that as someone who accepts climate change and evolution!”
(5) The “Pro-Birth” Objection
“To show just how absurd the pro-birth objection is, imagine if the same trick were applied to the term ‘pro-choice.’ If we said one cannot be pro-life without being in favour of all life, we could argue that to be pro-choice we must be in favour of all choice. Everyone’s right to choose anything, at any time.”
(4) Abstinence-obsessed Christian schools incentivize abortion
Maddi Runkles and her pro-life defenders brought much-needed attention to this problem.
(3) A Christian’s plea for secular reasoning on abortion
“It was in that moment that I realized just how damaging the pro-life ‘Bible-thumping’ stereotype is. It didn’t matter what I said or did; I might as well have attempted to lead everyone in an ‘Our Father’ and handed out Bibles. This woman wasn’t responding to what I said, she was responding to what she had been told I would say: “Abortion is wrong because God says so.'”
(2) Baby Nielson and the humanity of the preborn child
“At this gestation, many people believe that babies are a clump of cells and nothing more. Jaelyn bravely shared this photo of her miscarried baby to spread awareness about how human these children truly are, even at only eleven weeks.”
And our number one story of the year…
(1) Rep. Ryan announces tax dollars will be diverted from Planned Parenthood to other providers
This announcement came in early January of 2017. Almost a year later, federal taxpayer dollars continue to subsidize the nation’s largest abortion chain. And they wonder why people are so disillusioned with politics.